- June 29, 2017
- Posted by: Vinoba
- Category: All Posts, June 2017
- Second edition of Slum Daud
The second edition of the Slum Daud was recently inaugurated.
- The Slum Yuva Daud is part of the Adopt Slum Campaign initiated by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports and Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan. The Slum Yuva Daud & Adopt Slum campaigns aim at highlighting the government’s pro-people schemes among masses.
- Participation: the campaign will involve groups like NSS, public schools, RWAs, NGOs, rotary clubs etc.
- Nehru Yuva Kendras were established in the year 1972 with the objective of providing rural youth avenues to take part in the process of nation building as well providing opportunities for the development of their personality and skills.
- In the year 1987-88, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan(NYKS) was set up as an autonomous organization under the Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, to oversee working of these Kendras.
- NYKS is the largest grassroots level youth organization; one of its kind in the world. It channelizes the power of youth on the principles of voluntarism, self-help and community participation.
- The basic objective for creation of youth clubs is to render community support through developmental initiatives involving activities with particular focus on youth empowerment.
- NASA Tests Flexible Roll-Out Solar Array on Space Station
Source: The Hindu
NASA’s new compact high-power solar array-the Roll Out Solar Array (ROSA)– has made its debut on the International Space Station, allowing astronauts to test the technology’s durability for deep-space missions.
- The Roll Out Solar Array (ROSA) is one of the options eyed by NASA that could power an advanced solar electric propulsion spacecraft that makes possible such endeavors as the agency’s Asteroid Redirect Mission—plucking a multi-ton boulder from an asteroid’s surface, and then maneuvering that object into a stable orbit around the moon for human inspection and sampling.
Significance of ROSA:
- The Roll-Out Solar Array (ROSA) is a new type of solar panel that rolls open in space like a party favor and is more compact than current rigid panel designs.
- Tapping into ROSA technology allows the conversion of sunlight into electrical power that drives the ion thrusters of a solar electric propulsion spacecraft.
- ROSA is expected to enable a number of space initiatives and is a cost-saving plus to transport cargo over long distances beyond the Earth.
- ROSA has the potential to replace solar arrays on future satellites, making them more compact and lighter weight. Satellite radio and television, weather forecasting, GPS and other services used on Earth would all benefit from high-performance solar arrays.
- SEBI eases norms to buy stressed assets
Source: The Hindu
As part of the larger attempts of the government to resolve the massive bad debt issue, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has relaxed norms for investors acquiring assets in companies with stressed assets and facing bankruptcy proceedings.
The new norms are as follows:
- The acquirers are exempted from making open offers after buying stakes from lenders. Checks such as a three-year lock-in for new investors have been included.
- A similar exemption has also been provided for acquisitions post the resolution plans approved by National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016.
- A ‘Regulatory Fee’ of $1,000 will also be levied on each subscriber of offshore derivative instrument (ODI), which will have to be collected by the registered foreign portfolio investor (FPI) that issues the ODIs.
Non-performing assets, restructured loans and written-off assets — are collectively called ‘stressed assets’. They have become a major challenge to the country’s banking system.